[Taxacom] Total number of name-bearing types

Frederick W Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Thu Jan 15 09:25:19 CST 2009

Karl Magnacca wrote:
> I was also assuming that the original question refered to theoretical
> holotypes, i.e. if there were 50 syntypes used to describe a species
> that only counted as one.  I'm not sure what the point is of counting
> all the others as "name-bearing types", if tomorrow someone comes in and
> designates a lectotype and suddenly 49 aren't name-bearing anymore.

* or maybe (as I thought) it was sort of a curatorial question, "how
many specimens have been or served as types?" so that the 49 would
remain in the count even after the lectotype was designated.

fred.
             Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
       (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca