[Taxacom] Total number of name-bearing types

Steve Manning sdmanning at asub.edu
Thu Jan 15 16:37:22 CST 2009

Of course what is meant by "accepted" or "generally recognized"
species would have to be defined.  The "lumper-splitter" issue comes
into play here.  To state a probably over-used cliche, the accepted
number in a particular group depends on who has the latest
publication in that group.  Even if two or more species are combined
in a valid publication, not all workers in the group may agree with
the combination.  Maybe not all Dipterologists would agree that
154,000 is the actual number of flies - some may think 185,000 is
closer to the actual number (?).

Cheers,
Steve