[Taxacom] Type of Vetularctos inopinatus

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Sun Jan 18 21:28:25 CST 2009

Dear All,
       Sorry but another late night correction to a previous post.  My
unpublished 1977 mammal catalog actually listed inopinatus as a synonym
of the subspecies Ursus arctos horribilis (I did NOT recognize Ursus
horribilis as a separate species).  This is contrast with the 2nd
edition of Mammals of North America, which I also worked upon for
several years.  The division of grizzly bears into numerous species in
that work continued despite my strenuous objections.  Also, the failure
to include subspecies, synonymies, and type specimen information in our
1st Edition of Mammal Species of World was also done despite my
objections.  Therefore, I completely understand Chris Thompson's
comments about mammalogists, as I too was disappointed that the
opportunity to produce a complete nomenclatural work was allowed to pass
by with something far less comprehensive.
       -------Ken Kinman