[Taxacom] [tdwg] Semantic Web: What is a species?

Gurcharan Singh-satyam singhg at satyam.net.in
Sat Jan 24 22:21:37 CST 2009

The discussion on species could be endless, but I think it is "unreal" to
compare species with higher categories (genus, family, etc.) and
infraspecific categories simultaneously.
 True when compared to higher categories species are real as they provide
you first hand information from material, are not depedent on other
categories (in great majority of cases, where there are no infraspecific
taxa), and unlike higher categories are nonarbitrary to both inclusion as
well as exclusion.
  In those cases, however, where infraspecific taxa do exist, latter
categories are "real", as they are now your sources of information, except
for the autonyms, where species existed before the autonym got established.
     The discussion could be endless, and it has been

Gurcharan Singh
University of Delhi
India