[Taxacom] Semantic Web: What is a species?

Frederick W Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Sun Jan 25 08:06:20 CST 2009

Richard Pyle wrote:
> I guess I would say that what makes species seem more "real"...

* isn't "real" too vague a term for this discussion? "Reproductively
isolated," "operational," "demarcatable," "monophyletic," "ecologically
significant" (i.e. with high F values), or "phylogenetic" I can deal
with, but "real" just makes my head hurt.

fred.
             Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
       (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca