[Taxacom] [tdwg] Semantic Web: What is a species?

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Mon Jan 26 09:39:59 CST 2009

Well, operationally, a species needs to be described and published
according to the rules, then survive the marketplace of ideas. This is
close to "what a community of taxonomists say it is" and rather
different from "what a taxonomist says it is" (which I have also heard).
The former is in a somewhat different class than the latter. I know of
species I recognize and others (possibly even most others) do not.
Reality then lies in the community's apprehension of how well they help
describe a larger reality, some complex system.

Richard H. Zander
Voice: 314-577-0276
Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299