[Taxacom] unsubscribe

Richard Petit r.e.petit at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 26 20:11:48 CST 2009

I just had reason to quote from a letter Charles Darwin wrote to J. S.
Henslow in 1836. Darwin had just been to London. He wrote: "I am out of
patience with the Zoologists, not because they are overworked, but for their
mean quarrelsom spirit. I went the other evening to the Zoological Soc.,
where the speakers were snarling at each other, in a manner anything but
like that of gentlemen."

Pilsbry, 1926, Science 64(1654): 249, might have been premature in referring
to 19th Century workers when he wrote that: "It was an era of scant courtesy
between systematic conchologists."

dick p.