[Taxacom] [tdwg] Semantic Web: What is a species?

Gurcharan Singh-satyam singhg at satyam.net.in
Tue Jan 27 11:26:42 CST 2009

If Genera and families are as real as species, as Zander suggests, then I
ask:
"Why is Asclepiadaceae merged with Apocynaceae by most authors, and treated
distinct by others? I have to labour a lot to convince my students who ask
me justification of not recognising Asclepiadaceae with pollinia, translator
mechanism, gynostegium, monodelphous stamens and much more as distinct
family"

"Why do authors differ in treatment of Caparaceae, Grewiaceae and
Cleomaceae?"

Why  do authors differ in merger or separate identity of Liliaceae,
Alloiaceae and Amaryllidaceae?

The list could be endless. Fortunately we have neglegible such discrepancies
in species recognition. Even the advocators of Taxonomic species concept,
Biological concept and Evolutionary species concept, who appear to be
working with different parameters, tend to circumscribe the same set of
populations in a particular
species.

Gurcharan Singh