[Taxacom] (no subject)

Don.Colless at csiro.au Don.Colless at csiro.au
Tue Jan 27 16:01:04 CST 2009

Peter De Vries (and others) seem to believe that a SPECIES can breed in shallow water, bite humans, etc. But surely this is just shorthand for the statement that MEMBERS of that species breed in shallow water, etc. No matter how real, a species has no mouthparts for biting people! For me, Aedes aegypti is about as real (or unreal) as the Canberra Raiders football team. These things are "clusters", sort of halfway between individuals and classes. I wrote a paper on this once , but can't give the reference (I'm away from my desk). It was in Biology and Philosophy, a couple of years ago.

Donald H. Colless
CSIRO Div of Entomology
GPO Box 1700
Canberra 2601