[Taxacom] (no subject)

J. Kirk Fitzhugh kfitzhugh at nhm.org
Thu Jan 29 11:26:42 CST 2009

The attributes of biting and breeding pertain to *individual organisms*.
In 30 years working on the systematics of marine organisms I've never
'seen' much less perceived a species, or any other taxon. The reason is
simple - they do not have the ontological status of being 'things' such
that they have the requisite properties by which they can be perceived.
I also deny that we're dealing with clusters. We deal with organisms,
and the consequence is that we infer all sorts of explanatory
hypotheses, some of them called 'taxa.'

Like Don Colless, I've published such thoughts a few times:

Fitzhugh, K.  2005.  The inferential basis of species hypotheses: the
solution to defining the term ‘species.’  Marine Ecology 26: 155-165.

Fitzhugh, K.  2006.  The abduction of phylogenetic hypotheses.  Zootaxa
1145: 1-110.

Fitzhugh, K.  2008.  Abductive inference: implications for ‘Linnean’ and
‘Phylogenetic’ approaches for representing biological systematization.
Evolutionary Biology 35: 52-82.

Fitzhugh, K.  in press.  Species as explanatory hypotheses: refinements
and implications.  Acta Biotheoretica.

Kirk