[Taxacom] Semantic Web: What is a species?

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Thu Jan 29 21:54:42 CST 2009

Hi Curtis,
       Semantics can be tricky.  If I read your post correctly, you
regard species as "special" and perhaps "real" as well, but not "more
natural".  I'm just not sure what you mean by the latter.  "More
natural" than what???   And I am tempted to also ask, is a monophyletic
(holophyletic) species any "more real" than the paraphyletic mother
species that might have given rise to it?
           ----Cheers,
                      Ken Kinman
P.S.  Sorry Fred, I know that "real" gives you a headache, and "special"
and "natural" are perhaps just as nebulous and head-producing.
Semantics can sometimes give a lot of us headaches, but I guess that is
the price that us curious primates just have to sometimes pay.   The
subject of "reality" alone has confounded philosophers since the early
Greeks, if not before that.