[Taxacom] [tdwg] Semantic Web: What is a species?

Kirk Fitzhugh kfitzhug at nhm.org
Thu Jan 29 23:04:59 CST 2009

Curtis,

There's no problem to speak of species as not being real, except in the context of representing one of our classes of hypotheses accounting for particular properties of organisms. Acknowledging that species are such hypotheses doesn't require invoking metaphysics in lieu of 'science' and certainly doesn't compromise events under the heading of 'speciation.'

Why are species special? Tokogeny refers to events involving organisms, phylogeny refers to more inclusive events involving organisms. The naturalness of those events is no less special than those to which species refer.

Kirk