[Taxacom] [tdwg] Semantic Web: What is a species?

Eric.Zurcher at csiro.au Eric.Zurcher at csiro.au
Thu Jan 29 23:34:43 CST 2009

Why are species special? Higher taxa are circumscribed largely on the basis of sharing a common ancestor. Species are (generally) circumscribed not only on the basis of sharing a common ancestor, but also on the likelihood of sharing a common descendant.

The fact that taxonomic boundaries are often difficult to discern and are subject to disagreement is no reason to despair. Rather, as we approach the bicentennial of Darwin's birth, let's celebrate this exquisite evidence that evolution is an on-going process, occurring all around us.

Eric Zurcher
CSIRO Plant Industry
Canberra, Australia
Eric.Zurcher at csiro.au