[Taxacom] Semantic Web: What is a species?

Ilya Temkin it255 at nyu.edu
Fri Jan 30 01:23:47 CST 2009

Ken -

I'm quite certain that the notions of monophyly, paraphyly, and polyphyly apply only to higher taxa and not to species. (Monophyletic group is defined as a group consisting of an ancestral species and all its descendant species, at least sensu Hennig.) This stems from the notion that the relationship of individuals within a species is not strictly hierarchical (tokogenetic as opposed to phylogenetic). This distinction is useful because it does not muddle classifying higher taxa with studying the process of speciation, the two being distinct, however related, research programs.

Best,

Ilya