[Taxacom] Semantic Web: What is a species?

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Fri Jan 30 10:20:45 CST 2009

I agree with Ken that species can be thought of as paraphyletic. The
notion of reciprocal monophyly is particularly important with gradual
speciation of two taxa from an ancestral taxon, where one of the taxa is
at least molecularly paraphyletic to the other (different populations
molecularly different) but becoming monophyletic as populations go
extinct, purifying selection occurs, lots of backcrossing between
populations of one species, and general homogenization happens.

This is the Standard Theory I think among cladists, and few are
concerned with the idea that up to half the exemplars in a study may be
surviving ancestors of the other half.

Richard H. Zander
Voice: 314-577-0276
Missouri Botanical Garden