[Taxacom] [tdwg] Semantic Web: What is a species?

J. Kirk Fitzhugh kfitzhugh at nhm.org
Fri Jan 30 11:59:56 CST 2009

We don't need to resort to truth, since this would necessitate all of us
agreeing on which of the six or so theories of truth we're applying. The
events of reticulation to which you speak are events among organisms.
There is no emergent entity called a species. If there was, then we
should be able to discern its properties. 'Speciation' results in the
splitting of a group of organisms such that sets of reticulation events
are now separate.

I fail to see where there is anything more special about species as for
any other taxon.

Kirk

--
J. Kirk Fitzhugh, Ph.D.