[Taxacom] Semantic Web: What is a species?

J. Kirk Fitzhugh kfitzhugh at nhm.org
Fri Jan 30 13:03:22 CST 2009

I fail to see where total evidence has any relevance to what you've
said. The requirement of total evidence is not a difficult concept to
grasp. Total evidence is not intended to solve anything. It's merely a
principle applied to non-deductive reasoning - the sort of reasoning we
do all the time when inferring tokogenetic, specific, or phylogenetic
hypotheses.

Data introduce errors? Hardly. Data have no such ability. What can be
erroneous are our interpretations of facts via our observation
statements, the types of questions we ask relative to those statements,
and the inferences we make in light of those observations.

Kirk

--
J. Kirk Fitzhugh, Ph.D.
e-mail: kfitzhug at nhm.org