[Taxacom] Advice on genus name

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Fri Jan 30 18:45:31 CST 2009

On a lighter note...

I'm describing a new genus, new species and the animal looks like a
toothed wheel when curled up. So far I haven't come up with either

(a) a suitable Greek or Latin noun for 'gear', 'toothed wheel' or even
an apparatus (waterwheel?) that looks like one, or
(b) a simple and euphonius combination of Greek or Latin word elements
which hints even vaguely at 'toothed wheel'.

I'm therefore tempted to modify English 'gear'. The Code's
recommendation 11A is that 'an unmodified vernacular word should not be
used as a scientific name. Appropriate latinization is the preferred
means of formation of names from vernacular words.'

Which might inspire 'Gearius'. Any comments or suggestions?
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate