[Taxacom] Advice on genus name

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Fri Jan 30 20:20:13 CST 2009

Hi, Thomas.

Many thanks. Well, 'denti' is 'tooth-', rather than 'toothed', dentati-,
and rotatus suggests 'turning'.

I'd already tried the all-Greek Odontototrochus, which is simply awful.
Dentatirotula (little toothed wheel) isn't much better.

Gearius sounds OK in English, whether GEER-ius or Ge-AR-ius, and isn't
preoccupied, so far as I can tell. There's a Hypogearius, which derives
from hypo- geo- for this cave genus. Gearium is also euphonious.

Cheers,
Bob
--
Dr Robert Mesibov