[Taxacom] decline and fall of taxonomy

Neil Snow neil.snow at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Jun 4 13:25:08 CDT 2009

I agree re marketing and recently encouraged colleagues in Colorado
(where I worked previously) to make more concerted efforts at
communicating exciting new discoveries (a number of new species, for
example).  If taxonomists do not communicate our finds to the media, how
are they to know?  See for example:

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=colorado
an&sParam=30037677.story

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=109073

http://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/sitting-on-a-whole-new-species

Advertising works. Equally importantly, many people are highly
interested in biodiversity and enjoy reading about these kinds of
discoveries.

NS