[Taxacom] decline and fall of taxonomy

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Thu Jun 4 17:09:54 CDT 2009

I agree with Peter DeVries about the need to update skills. I remember when, oh so long ago, taxonomists were downright proud to be jack-of-all-trades as far as techniques went, reveling in the ability to use chromosome squashes, cultivation in common gardens and reciprocal transplants, emerging blue from a walk-in freezer with a tiny tube of DNA, struggling with phenetic analysis and MANOVA and whatnot.

Learning molecular analysis is not hard, and the techniques are more cut-and-dried than choosing a statistical method (Gower's? Mahalonobis?) and certainly more intuitive than the codes of nomenclature. I think if the associated baggage of classification by holophyly is eliminated, molecular analysis will be just another technique in evolutionary taxonomy that we use to reconstruct lineage linkages and isolation events.

Richard H. Zander
Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299
St. Louis, MO 63166 U.S.A.