[Taxacom] The Systematics Association - Sir Julian Huxley Lecture

Soraya Villalba S.Villalba at kew.org
Tue Jun 9 06:43:24 CDT 2009

Dear Taxacom members,

Please note the coming Sir Julian Huxley Lecture (message sent on behalf of William Baker, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew)

____________________________

The Systematics Association (http://www.systass.org/)

Sir Julian Huxley Lecture

Phylogenetic Analysis of Clade Diversification: Is Robust Inference Possible?

Prof. Michael Sanderson - University of Arizona, Tucson

The Linnean Society, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London

Wednesday 8th July 2009, 6 pm

The meeting is open to visitors. Wine will be served after the lecture to members and guests

Abstract: Species richness is not distributed evenly across the tree of life. Some clades are exceptionally diverse, others surprisingly species-poor. The reconstruction of phylogenetic trees and their calibration in geologic time has improved our ability to detect these patterns, but by how much? In this talk I review a spectrum of methods for inferring diversification rates and consider their robustness, focusing in particular on the question of whether time calibration is necessary or useful. Several case studies in angiosperm evolution will be highlighted, including Hawaiian silverswords and both recent and old radiations within the large clade Leguminosae. Although research on diversification rates has been dominated by questions of evolutionary success", I will end with a discussion of the "depauperons" of life, those clades with surprisingly little diversity.

_________________________________

Soraya Villalba

EDIT project - Palms Exemplar Group

Herbarium, Library, Art and Archives

Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew

Richmond, Surrey

TW9 3AB

UK

ph: +44 (0)20 8332 5225

fax: +44 (0)20 8332 5278

* Please note that due to the Herbarium & Library Extension works, there will be disruption to visitor services and access to the collections. Please contact us for details before arranging any visits for 2008/9.