[Taxacom] decline and fall of taxonomy

Fabian Haas fhaas at icipe.org
Mon Jun 15 03:45:28 CDT 2009

in my time as German National Focal Point of the CBD I put together some
text on that you can find here:

http://www.gti-kontaktstelle.de/TaxUsers.html

Hubble works because it produces nice images, and space has an immanent
fascination, see Star Trek, Alien, Star Wars blabla, though I always
wonder how they get away with the complete uselessneess of their
results. Or how did hubble solve an earthly problem...

Best
Fabain

Neil Snow wrote:
> I agree re marketing and recently encouraged colleagues in Colorado
> (where I worked previously) to make more concerted efforts at
> communicating exciting new discoveries (a number of new species, for
> example).  If taxonomists do not communicate our finds to the media, how
> are they to know?  See for example:
>
> http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=colorado
> an&sParam=30037677.story
>
> http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=109073
>
> http://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/sitting-on-a-whole-new-species
>
> Advertising works. Equally importantly, many people are highly
> interested in biodiversity and enjoy reading about these kinds of
> discoveries.
>
> NS

FabianHaas2 at gmx.net, fhaas at icipe.org, Extension -2052

www.icipe.org
www.earwigs-online.de :: The Site on Earwig Biology
www.fabianhaas.de :: Personal Photo Website

Dr. Fabian Haas
ICIPE - African Insect Science for Food and Health
Duduville Campus, Kasarani
P.O. Box 30772 - 00100
N A I R O B I
Kenya