[Taxacom] Melilotus albus and officinalis

Alec McClay alec.mcclay at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 15 16:53:40 CDT 2009

Melilotus albus Medik. is listed as a synonym of Melilotus
officinalis (L.) Lam. in the USDA Plants database, but most other
listings that I can find (e.g. ILDIS and the Flora Europaea) maintain
them as separate species. I can't find any publication that
officially synonymized these species. Does anyone know why PLANTS
would have synonymized them, or if there is any biological
justification for doing so?

Alec McClay, Ph.D.

McClay Ecoscience
15 Greenbriar Crescent
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Canada T8H 1H8

Phone (780) 464-4962
Mobile (780) 953-4077
Fax       (780) 410-0496
Skype alec.mcclay
Email <mailto:alec.mcclay at shaw.ca>alec.mcclay at shaw.ca or
<mailto:biocontrol at mcclay-ecoscience.com>biocontrol at mcclay-ecoscience.com

www.mcclay-ecoscience.com
Biological control, invasive species, insect-plant ecology