[Taxacom] Melilotus albus and officinalis

Alan S. Weakley weakley at unc.edu
Mon Jun 15 20:48:12 CDT 2009

These are universally regarded as good species in all European and American
publications of which I am aware, except John Kartesz's 1999 Synthesis,
which was the original basis for the USDA Plants taxonomy.

There is no publication (that I am aware of) explaining the rationale for
synonymizing them.  John told me that he synonymized them because flower
color appeared to be the only difference.

Alan Weakley, Curator and Adjunct Assistant Professor
University of North Carolina Herbarium (NCU), North Carolina Botanical
Garden
Department of Biology and Curriculum for the Environment and Ecology
UNC-Chapel Hill
Campus Box 3280, 419 Coker Hall
Chapel Hill NC 27599-3280
919.962.0578