[Taxacom] decline and fall of taxonomy

Fabian Haas fhaas at icipe.org
Tue Jun 16 03:38:54 CDT 2009

I should have been more specific. All the GPS and remote sensing stuff
is esssential for communication, environmental planning, monitoring what
not. The thing I was refering to 'complete uselessness' is when they
look into deep space. How does it -practically- matter if there is a
super nova in this or that corner of the galaxy. How old the solar
system is, how many galaxies are there, and if there is black matter???

Intellectually challenging and interesting problems, but we cannot do
anything about it anyway, and it does not bring me quicker to my working
place or heals more people with less costs or what ever. So, as
taxonomist we are almost threatend daily because there seem to be no
practically useful results (to wich I dont agree) and these guys get
millions to look in the dark night and watch star, with out a trace of
usefull results.

Thats the point I wanted to make.
best
Fabian

Frederick W Schueler wrote:
> Fabian Haas wrote:
>
>>  space has an immanent fascination, though I always
>> wonder how they get away with the complete uselessneess of their
>> results.
>>

> * GPS? Useless to sytematics?
>
> fred.
>              Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
>            Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
>         RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
>      on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
>        (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca

> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org

FabianHaas2 at gmx.net, fhaas at icipe.org, Extension -2052

www.icipe.org
www.earwigs-online.de :: The Site on Earwig Biology
www.fabianhaas.de :: Personal Photo Website

Dr. Fabian Haas
ICIPE - African Insect Science for Food and Health
Duduville Campus, Kasarani
P.O. Box 30772 - 00100
N A I R O B I
Kenya