[Taxacom] Melilotus albus and officinalis

Alec McClay alec.mcclay at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 16 11:46:23 CDT 2009

Thanks to all who responded. I also checked in IPNI (should have
thought of that before) which confirms that the synonymy is from the
Japanese literature

Melilotus officinalis (L.) Lam. subsp. albus (Medik.) H.Ohashi &
Tateishi Sci. Rep. Tohoku Univ., Ser. 4, Biol. 38(4): 319. 1984

But the consensus still seems to be that these are good species, not
just colour forms - I've never seen any reports of intermediates or
of interbreeding.

Alec McClay, Ph.D.

McClay Ecoscience
15 Greenbriar Crescent
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Canada T8H 1H8

Phone (780) 464-4962
Mobile (780) 953-4077
Fax       (780) 410-0496
Skype alec.mcclay
Email <mailto:alec.mcclay at shaw.ca>alec.mcclay at shaw.ca or
<mailto:biocontrol at mcclay-ecoscience.com>biocontrol at mcclay-ecoscience.com

www.mcclay-ecoscience.com
Biological control, invasive species, insect-plant ecology