[Taxacom] decline and fall of taxonomy

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Tue Jun 16 23:14:47 CDT 2009

"The major limiting factor in taxonomic productivity is the number of
taxonomic workers, not how fast they work."

Without having all the data at hand, I would dare to say that we get more
taxonomists working by offering them a first class cyber infrastructure:
Access to complete catalogues, all the literature digitized and cross
referenced and linked to the catalogues, standard visual documentation of
all the taxa and increasingly for any new specimen, DNA sequence data, and
proper descriptions on how to created modern revisions.

It seems that this set up attracts new people as we observe this in the ant
community and their output, interest of other groups such as the CBOL to
join forces to barcode all the ants of a particular region (eg madagascar).
And it attracts people well beyond the developed world, since it allows
people in the developing world to catch up with the newest status in
taxonomy. Since imaging and DNA sequencing is increasingly becoming cheaper,
there are also discussion that institutions like CBOL might do the barcoding
of any new species for free, or the California Academy of Sciences the
imaging of types and other specimens for those that can not produce these
data by themselves.

What it means from our taxonomic end is that we really make all the data we
produce discoverable over the Internet, so that they can be automatically
linked, or better submitted to shared databases such as Zoobank in Zoology,
that then can serve as entry point.

In this respect, the issues is that taxonomists better reconsider how they
work - which at the end is to their own benefit, since it saves them a lot
of time, eg by not having to go to libraries, triaging through many type
specimens, etc.

Donat