[Taxacom] decline and fall of taxonomy

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Wed Jun 17 00:00:36 CDT 2009

Hi Bob

Ok, I will see, that I can produce some data from our databases covering
ants, and may be some other hymenoptera taxa.

Your question though raises an issue, that I am sure has also been covered
many time, what is the relevant figure to look at. Taxonomists or
descriptions, or expertise. At the e-ebiosphere meeting in London, there was
a figure of EU600M circulating as the budget of the natural history museums
in the Eurpean Union. This is not a small figure, and would say that there
is a considerable amount of money in taxonomy, unless our community
frivolously misspends (from a taxonomists-wanting-to-describe-taxa point of
view). And that is just the European Union.

Let me get some "hard" data from our databases so we have at least something
to go from anecdotal to less anecdotal.

Donat