[Taxacom] decline and fall of taxonomy

Dean Pentcheff pentcheff at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 01:26:20 CDT 2009

I'll chime in here in support of Donat.

I'm not sure he meant that the increasing digitization of taxonomy is
causing (or will necessarily cause) an increase in the number of
taxonomists. What it will do is slow the decline and prevent the
effective death of taxonomy (except as a gentleman and gentlewoman's
hobby).

A very telling remark was made by an (actually the only) undergraduate
at a recent small working group crustacean taxonomists. After hearing
us thinking about and muttering about beginning to tackle digitizing
access to the literature, he said (paraphrasing): "You folks should
realize the importance of the decision you're making here. If you
don't get the literature online, no one in my generation will go into
this science. We aren't going to spend the better part of a Master's
and Ph.D. program amassing the paper literature for a group. We'll
just do some other kind of biology."

Digitizing this science won't guarantee it will thrive. Failing to
will guarantee it will die.

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff