[Taxacom] decline and fall of taxonomy

Gurcharan Singh-satyam singhg at satyam.net.in
Wed Jun 17 01:41:10 CDT 2009

For last few days there has been a lot of discussion on this topic. Nearly
33 years back in 1976 (when number of taxonomists could be counted on
fingers) I had described a new species from Kashmir, Tragopogon kashmirianus
G. Singh, an allotetraploid, a possible natural cross between diploid T.
dubius and T. porrifolius, quite distinct from American T. mirus another
allotetraploid hybrid between these two species, always wondering how can
same parental species give rise to two different species. I must have spent
a few hundred rupees to to establish and publish this new species. 32 years
later in 2006  E. V.  Mavrodiev, I Navchoo, D E Soltis & P S Soltis
presented their work at Botany 2006 of Botanical Society of America based on
molecular studies of the complex. They investicated ITS, ETS and plastid
sequence data to reach a conclusion, that solved my question: that T.
kashmirianus is quite distinct from T mirus and T. dubius of Kashmir is
distinct from T. dubius of America. They must have spent thousands of
dollars over a longer period of time, to reach this conclusion. Are these
and other workers investigating molecular data not taxonomists? A simple
look at the number of papers published during last few years, as listed at
APG website is sufficient to reinforce the fact that taxonomy is fast
developing and not falling down. Imagine the amount of funds being spent in
various labs to investigate molecular phylogeny. It is a great jump from a
simple microscope, hand lens, fresh and herbarium specimens. Who says
taxonomy is declining. It has evolved to include and integrate other fields
of biology. Let us not again get lost in the distinction (debate originated
in middle of last century, but died down in 12-15 years) of classical and
modern taxonomy. Taxonomy is always taxonomy. It is fast evolving and
keeping pace with other fields of science.

Gurcharan Singh
Department of Botany
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi