[Taxacom] decline and fall of taxonomy

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 16:22:22 CDT 2009

This is complicated.
For instance, say there is a hypothetical graduate student that has just
finished a revision of a genus for her thesis.

These theses can be 500 to 1000 pages long, but can be output in the form of
a PDF.

She has the option of taking parts of her thesis and publishing them in a
series of journal articles. This would add to her list of official
publications needed for an academic career.

She could also author and curate a LifeDesk, which might be more complete,
useful and accessible. However, the LifeDesk will result in no professional
credentials and may make it more difficult for her to publish her thesis in
a standard journal.

I think that something like a LifeDesk would be more accessible and useful
to other scientists. The data in the LifeDesk could also be encoded in
machine interpretable form so it is available for large scale analysis and
the Semantic Web.

However, the current system does not reward these kinds of efforts even
though they would seem to be much more valuable to the scientific community.

One of the advantages of a LifeDesk-type electronic document is that could
be curated over time, however, this would require that there be some
mechanism for periodic reviews or reviews of changes.

In summary, the current system is not setup to reward those efforts that
would be of the most value to science.

To answer your question, it seems something like 2 might be best. Or,
possibly an electronic journal that allows large metadata rich publications
that can be republished from time to time.

Respectfully,

Pete

Pete DeVries
Department of Entomology