[Taxacom] decline and fall of taxonomy

Michael Heads michael.heads at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 18:43:46 CDT 2009

Dear Richard and colleagues,

Linnaeus was a great taxonomist but our taxonomic project began long before his time. In botany I think the key psychological moment was when people changed from writing herbals - treatments of the useful plants in a region -  to writing floras, treatments of all the plants in an area whether they were useful or not. The first flora was by Caesalpino (who also pointed out endemism on ultramafics etc.) in the 16th century. Herbaria, university courses with field trips, botanical gardens etc. all began at this time. There is more to taxonomy than binomial nomenclature!

As for testing, medieval monks tested their hypotheses rigorously and logically (with reference to scripture or other 'authentic' authorities). The real point seems to be - what is a valid test?

As for the falsifiability criterion - how can you 'disprove' a theory other than by using something that is proved? 'Facts' can seem straightforward but are sometimes quite deceptive...

Michael Heads

Wellington, New Zealand.

My papers on biogeography are at: http://tiny.cc/RiUE0