[Taxacom] Citing taxonomical works (was: decline and fall of taxonomy)

Maarten Christenhusz m.christenhusz at nhm.ac.uk
Thu Jun 18 05:14:45 CDT 2009

Dear David and Taxacommers,

Authors of biological articles should cite the works used by them in the material and methods part of their article. Other methods used previously are often cited, but the use of a taxonomic work with which they have identified their specimens is usually completely ignored.
I ask all journal editors to change this in their policy - author guides, as well as citing species names properly.

All electronic efforts in taxonomy are excellent and it is exactly what is needed to improve our science, but I agree also that there is little revenue for the authors: e.g. contributions to projects as EoL, ToL, GBIF etc do not bring any revenue for the author, nor will scratchpads. There is already the idea that knowledge is free and should be available to all, but who will compile and review this information? One cannot make an encyclopaedia without paying for the contents.

Maarten