[Taxacom] Citing taxonomical works (was: decline and fall of taxonomy)

Frederick W Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Thu Jun 18 11:17:25 CDT 2009

McClelland, Donald wrote:

>> The Codes ensure that every name is unique. Given that a name is unique
>> without the authors' names, just what is the advantage of citing the
>> ultimate author of a name, rather than current revisor whose concept of
>> the taxon is meant?

> We must know the "ultimate" (original) author of a name because names
> are linked to type specimens.  Without this link, all sorts of confusion
> in the application of a name can follow as I'm sure you are aware.
> Linking names to types is the basis of modern taxonomy and for good
> reason.  Also, The Codes of course have rules to prevent homonyms (at
> least within kingdom), but that doesn't mean homonyms didn't/don't get
> into the literature.  Using authors' names prevents confusion when
> dealing with this situation.

* I know this is the argument that's used for citing authors, but what
I'm asking is how citing the original author (or, in botany, a potpourri
of authors of epithets) is better than citing a recent revisor whose
species concept is being used by the author? Even if one gave the
specimen number of the type specimen (a much more direct tie to the
type), what one is really referencing in using a name is the species
concept you, as an author, endorse at the time of writing.

Any set of names from a recent revisor will be free from homonyms, and
will include synonymies and lots of other user-friendly features that
won't be present in an original description (which isn't adequately
cited in ordinary practice).

The kind of useage I'm suggesting is something similar to: "Names and
species concepts follow Cody & Britton (1989 [Ferns of Canada]), except
in the case of Dryopteris squechili, which we regard, with Donald (2009)
as an autotretraploid..."

Scientific citation is supposed to be to a chain of sequentially
justified publications, and while I'm as much of a fan of the 18th
century as anyone, I think it's time to recognize that conventional
citation of authors' names is a practice which made sense in the 18th
century, but which has been overwhelmed by the subsequent development of
the scientific literature.

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS: this is a parroting of an argument first learned from
Bill Brown, at Cornell, in the 1960s.

fred.
             Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad