[Taxacom] Sub-professionals

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Tue Jun 23 10:27:38 CDT 2009

Nice redirection, Bob. My comments were aimed at "subprofessionals,"
however, being those who may not have the professional (lots of
schooling, mentoring, human exemplars) background on how to take care of
oneself. I never identified health-related plants if I could help it,
given litigation possibilities, and used consulting companies for
insurance coverage when doing the occasional environmental assessment
long, long ago. I've always had a herbarium for vouchers documenting
critical decisions.

I think that a certified identifier, to be well-trained, needs at least
an M.A. in biology and a taxonomy course and formal experience in
collecting and conserving organisms. The certification is already there
if professionalism is of any value. It is as much to protect and
reassure the identifier as those who use his/her services.

Richard H. Zander
Voice: 314-577-0276
Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299
St. Louis, MO 63166-0299 USA
richard.zander at mobot.org
Non-post deliveries to:
Missouri Botanical Garden, 4344 Shaw Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63110