[Taxacom] orangutan outrage

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Wed Jun 24 22:10:58 CDT 2009

Dear All,
      It seems to me that all of this will soon be settled by a thorough
comparison of the WHOLE genomes of the great apes.  The most convincing
synapomorphies will probably be more complex molecular signals (not
substitutions, additions, or deletions of just single bases).
      The big question in my mind is still whether chimps clade
exclusively with gorillas or with humans.  If, on the other hand,
orangutans and humans do exclusively clade together, I will be very
surprised.  I still believe that the morphological similarities between
orangutans and humans will turn out to be plesiomorphies (especially if
chimps and gorillas form an exclusive clade).  I wouldn't call Grehan's
hypothesis either "wacky" or "loopy", but I still think it is highly
unlikely.
          --------Cheers,
                          Ken Kinman