[Taxacom] orangutan outrage

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Thu Jun 25 12:24:25 CDT 2009

Ken makes my point. He says on one hand that whole genomes will not make morphological studies irrelevant or scientifically meaningless and then goes on to say that they will show us which morphologies are most relevant to phylogeny - which is another way to say that without whole genomes (or any other chosen molecular technique) the morphology is phylogenetically meaningless. Then one has to say that 'complex' morphological characters are still "important" especially for fossils. This is the kind of cognitive dissonances that permeates current systematics. If morphology is garbage in the living then it is garbage in the fossil.

That genomes should show the human-orangutan relationship I would agree. In its morphological manifestation that is what the genomes already show! Its only in its molecular aspect that the base (bean) counting methods appear to be cladistically inadequate for getting the right answer (assuming the orangutan is the right answer).

John Grehan