[Taxacom] orangutan outrage

Michael Heads michael.heads at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 25 20:25:11 CDT 2009

Dear Ken and colleagues,

Can non-trivial questions really be 'settled' in taxonomy (or any science)? Maybe a 'thorough comparison' would settle the question, but what exactly constitutes a 'thorough comparison'? And who would get to decide? (presumably not a sub-profesional taxonomist). Or do we vote?

I'm really writing to ask if anyone can direct me to a standard, up-to-date phylogeographic study of Homo sapiens. Templeton 2002 ('out of Africa again and again', Nature) is interesting but doesn't give a standard phylogeny or any geographic detail beyond 'Africa'. I'm interested in whether the different connections between Africa and other regions involve different parts of Africa.

Thanks,
Michael Heads

Wellington, New Zealand.

My papers on biogeography are at: http://tiny.cc/RiUE0