[Taxacom] Pongidae (was: orangutan outrage)

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Sat Jun 27 10:15:20 CDT 2009

What I see in the responses by Richard Zander and Ken Kinman is this
determination that the molecular evidence is really, really, right no
matter how it is contradicted by the morphological evidence. And by hook
or by crook they (or the molecular theorists) are going to find an
'explanation' (excuse) to explain away the morphological anomaly. The
idea that bean counting of DNA bases is the essence of phylogeny is now
so entrenched that I doubt anyone who has walked out on this plank will
be able to back away (especially if they have claimed that the
chimpanzee theory is fact). Of course I have walked out on an even
longer plank against popular opinion. But then only a few decades back
panbiogeography was ridiculed out of hand, and while it is now just
generally ignored (standard scientific procedure by the majority - one
technique that should be taught to students in science classes so they
can recognize it in themselves or others), one can no longer get away
with ridicule.

John Grehan