[Taxacom] Lightening up on Pongidae (was: orangutan outrage)

mivie at montana.edu mivie at montana.edu
Sat Jun 27 11:22:41 CDT 2009

OK, speaking of things that could be ignored, I just heard the most
amazing explanation of Grehan's vehemence on this subject from an
Afrocentric friend, and given John's idea that silly theoretical
constructs should not be ignored, thought I would share it.

The rejection of an African sister-group to humans in favor of an Asian
one is simply another example of the dominant eurasian scientific elites
trying to deny yet again the importance of African contributions to
history.  I.E. those who oppose the Homo-Pan sister pair are racists.
This logic has as much basis (or lack thereof) as some presented on this
listserver.

But, it IS funny.

Mike