[Taxacom] SUSPECT: Re: Pongidae (was: orangutan outrage)

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Sat Jun 27 13:31:07 CDT 2009

Bravo, John. Good response.

Much information about past selection of expressed traits or fixation of drifting traits will be there in the genome. Getting it out is the problem. Much history is overwritten in DNA. Slow-mutating sequences miss stuff. Extinct lineages have taken much with them into eraserhood.

If we could identify proteomically developmental genes generating different expressed traits associated with selection in nature then match them with history accumulated by non-coding sequences, wouldn't that be nice? I think much is expected from QTL studies in this regard.

I think a feature of misunderstanding on Taxacom are the different ideas different people have about exactly what it is that is evolving. A species? A population? An organism? A trait? An enzyme? A codon? Is ANY change the same as evolution, or is evolution associated with change and the fixation of certain expressed traits in a species that is then stable over long periods of time through maybe stabilizing selection (which is my take on it)? Should we vote? Or is this even more embarassing than our lack of agreement on something so basic? Look it up in the dictionary?

BTW, strong expressions are stimulating, instructive, and worthwhile on Taxacom. I would hate to see anyone blackballed from this listserver for occasionally being robustly annoying. Truth is not necessarily captured by tippytoeing up behind it.

Richard H. Zander
Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299
St. Louis, MO 63166 U.S.A.