[Taxacom] Robust argument

michael.heads at yahoo.com michael.heads at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 27 21:36:20 CDT 2009

Dear Bob and colleagues,

What is the genome? For example, the geographic distribution of most taxa is inherited, i.e. is genetic, but is not coded for by 'genes' in the strict sense.

Michael Ivie and his Afrocentric friends are worried that an orang-Homo sister relationship would mean that Africa is not the centre of origin for Homo and so the theory is racist. But just because a taxon has its sister group in Asia does not mean that Asia is the centre of origin. Panbiogeography is against any sort of centrism. Michael feels that panbiogeography is ridiculous and teaches his students this, which is fair enough, but the last book on the subject (Panbiogeography by Craw et al., 1999) was published by Oxford University Press in New York, which is about as main-stream as you can get. As a good coleopterist, Michael might be interested in a recent, very positive article on Croizat in Le Coleopteriste (12: 1-5. 2008) by Pierre Jolivet.
   I don't know about Afrocentrics, but Africans themselves are more sophisticated than this when it comes to issues of centres of origin/taxonomy etc. In southern Africa I suggested to my best PhD student (an African) that we chould rename the dozens of plants and animals with the species epithets 'caffer' and 'caffra', as 'kaffir' is a very offensive word down there for a black person. Using the word is a crime in South Africa and it gets a bit embarrassing in lectures and on field trips. But my student suggested that the principle of priority was much more important and a change would just be confusing. As they say in Ghana - 'you're too sensitive'.

Michael Heads

Wellington, New Zealand.

My papers on biogeography are at: http://tiny.cc/RiUE0