[Taxacom] Robust argument

bti at dsmz.de bti at dsmz.de
Sun Jun 28 05:39:21 CDT 2009

Bob,

> All three clauses are untrue. This kind of reasoning had a chemical
> analogy in the 19th and early 20th century: organisms are only made
> of atoms and molecules, there's no vital force; therefore everything
> we can infer about how organisms work is inherent in atoms and
> molecules, and if we could only completely understand the chemistry
> we'd have the whole organismal story. Anyone still think that way?

Genomes are composed of nucleic acid bases, which consist of a pentose
sugar back bone, phosphate and the appropriate nitrogen bases. The
helical structure depends on the absoute stereochemistry of the
pentose, the base pairing due to the bonding between the complementary
nucleosides. t-RNA mediates protein synthesis by the same base-pair
chemistry and the structure of proteins depends upon the individual
amino acids present and their interactions, and we are also talking
about "molecular machines". Try explaining membrane structure and
functon by looking at genes alone.

Nearly forgot, the selection of D- or L-amino acids is by interaction
of the t-RNA and the t-RNA amnio acid synthase. I have not been able
to find any evidence that a codon specifies "L-amino acid" rather than
"D-amino acid".

Brian

Dr.B.J.Tindall
DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikro-
organismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra├če 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. Erko Stackebrandt
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)