[Taxacom] Homo sapiens kansiensis against meltdowns

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Sun Jun 28 07:43:28 CDT 2009

I agree fully with taking a relaxed, although always direct, approach to
discussion. Comments by TAXACOME listers on the genome show that the
evolutionary nature of the genome is not self evident, and neither is
its phylogenetic meaning which, despite all the sequence counting,
remains obscure and based largely on various assumptions made about its
meaning in the first place.

As for panbiogeography, I notice that Michael Ivie has not provided a
scientific defense of his ridicule of panbiogeography. Not surprising
perhaps as it is easier to ridicule than prosecute a particular science.
For my part, I will draw attention to the successful prediction of the
Galapagos as being associated with a major tectonic center long before
the tectonics were known, and the composite tectonic structure of the
Americas, again, before the geologists discovered that fact. I would be
interested to know how these and other panbiogeographic accomplishments
can be ridiculed. I'm not saying that they cannot, I'm just interested
in how. After all, Barbara McClintock was apparently ridiculed to the
point that she stopped publishing. Later she got a Nobel Prize.

John Grehan