[Taxacom] Robust argument

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Sun Jun 28 08:40:26 CDT 2009

A college of mine made the following comment on sequence analysis and phylogeny that may be of interest:

"comparing sequences in non-coding regions (basic to the regulation of development) just doesn't make sense as it might in the coding region (producing proteins/enzymes). In the non-coding regions multiple transcription factors (proteins) can affect a single promoter region (which "begins" a signaling pathway) and importantly it is RNA that alternatively splices introns (post-natally apparently inactive space fillers between exons) and puts together the exons it "needs" to make the protein necessary for a particular aspect of development. Sequence is meaningless. But what is, is the way in which DNA is chopped up and used differently/differentially by RNA and other molecules to produce the organism. So the concept of everything we need to know about an organism (although we really don't know) is not going to come merely from sequence data (in metazoans)."

John Grehan

Dr. John R. Grehan

Director of Science

Buffalo Museum of Science1020 Humboldt Parkway

Buffalo, NY 14211-1193

email: jgrehan at sciencebuff.org

Phone: (716) 896-5200 ext 372

Panbiogeography