[Taxacom] Robust argument

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Sun Jun 28 13:26:28 CDT 2009

Well, that morphology which is a combination of genetics plus
environment is only partly in the genome. The environment part is not
retrievable.

And it's not just our inability to decipher that which is in the genome,
there's 2nd law of thermodynamics and maybe Heisenberg uncertainty that
limits how much can be stored given the method and time of storage.
Reminds of Laplace's idea that if we know the vector's of all movement
in the universe at any one time, we should be able to retrodict the past
and predict the future. I think it's been shown that a billiard ball
cannot be predicted well beyond the fourth bounce from the cushion,
perhaps DNA has the same limitation given a constant (by which I mean
inexorable) though heterogeneous rate of mutation.

Richard H. Zander
Voice: 314-577-0276
Missouri Botanical Garden
PO Box 299
St. Louis, MO 63166-0299 USA
richard.zander at mobot.org
Non-post deliveries to:
Missouri Botanical Garden, 4344 Shaw Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63110