[Taxacom] SUSPECT: Re: Pongidae (was: orangutan outrage)

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Sun Jun 28 13:27:10 CDT 2009

All of these points show why molecular evidence is not a self evident
truth that necessarily negates morphological evidence, which in itself
is a construction of molecular interactions that are consistently
inherited under a consistent spatiotemporal environment. I would like to
emphasize that I have no necessary position of which is better in
phylogenetic construction - morphology or molecules. I do have a
necessary position on the widespread assumption that a consistent
molecular result falsifies a morphological alternative and my position
is that this assumption is not been demonstrated. On the other hand I
consider morphology as a potential falsifier of molecular based
phylogenies.

John Grehan