[Taxacom] panbiogeography critique

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Mon Jun 29 13:25:46 CDT 2009

Michael Heads will no doubt later respond as he sees fit and perhaps better than I, but I will offer comment on some points (others get a bit fuzzy and I am not quite sure what Ivie is arguing).

1) Pierre Jolivet. The trouble with Ivie's response is that the intial comment was a bit obscure. By saying are you kidding? implies that the suggestion is not to be taken seriously. Head's reference to the venue was only to show that he is still active - noth that he was an authority by that publication venue.

2) Hundreds of publications: I would agree that content is the issue concerning validity. But Ivie has not managed to present anything to invalidate the accomplishments of panbiogeography other than rhetorical dismissals such as 'accidents'or the acceptance of claims by others.

I read the reference to hundreds of papers to indicate that unlike Ivie, many do not consider panbiogeography ridiculous, particularly to the south of the Rio Grande. True it is still a minority and of itself has nothing to do with the necessary validity of panbiogeography.

4) Cracraft may criticise panbiogeography but he utilizes its principles nevertheless.

5) Conclusions vs hypotheses. Say it either way. Many scintific articles produce 'conclusions' so the error identified by Ivie is widespread. All panbiogeoraphic conclusions are open to testing. Croizat's 1958 conclusion that the Galapagos was associated with a major tectonic center was tested by subsequent tectonic analysis that coroborated his conclusion/hypothesis. No other biogeographic approach to the Galapagos was able to predict the tectonic fact.

6) I would be interested to see Ivie present his logic and evidence to support the hypothesis that Jamaica was populated by individual propagules that would allow, via founder effect, open niches and selective pressure, rapid evolution of highly differentiated forms.

In what way is the biogeography of Jamaica very different from vicariant faunae (such as?) of the other, older, Greater Antilles. Is the argument that Jamaica is geolgoically younger so it must have a biolgoically younger biota as well?