[Taxacom] Why I do this, and Why you should too -- The End

mivie at montana.edu mivie at montana.edu
Mon Jun 29 14:04:15 CDT 2009

Dear Taxacomers,

Any of you who are still reading this stuff must be wondering why I keep
at it?  They are now down to the rather helpless whimpering of quoting
incoherent paragraphs of holy texts, but however down, still not out.
Well, thank you to the many who have written off list to support me, but
it is time more of you stepped up and participated.

Why? I believe in teaching by the narrative, and so will share why I
jumped in this time (I generally just delete anything he posts).  A
student actually told me that he thought panbiogeography must have
something going for it because John Grehan posted so much on TAXACOM, and
that people were so respectful of his views!  At that point, I realized
that silence was taken by the naive, inexperienced and isolated as
agreement.

Debate the fallacy of that logic all you want, and no one will disagree
with you, but the trap was lain.

I have spent a large amount of time the last few days, and taken a lot of
yours, to try to show the cult nature of this pseudo-science.  It reliance
on authority, circularity, cherry-picking of certain outcomes and holy
texts, plus the missionary zeal and diversionary tactics of its chief
proponents exposes it for what it is.  The tactic of going sideways when
logically pinned is what happens when those same type of people press your
door bell and want to just "discuss things" with you.

It is now your turn to show the susceptible among us where you stand.  I
am finished, my efforts, poor as they have been, are what I have.

Michael Ivie